Building on the success of the Gift Aid practical issues working group, the CTG Management Committee has decided to set up a new Business Rates working group, in which members can share experiences of business rates with other charities. A draft Terms of Reference is outlined below.
In the first instance, the group will only be open to charities – if you would like to join the group (which will involve a mixture of meetings and e-mail correspondence) please contact [email protected] to express your interest. Please also pass this invitation on to relevant colleagues.
CTG Business Rates Working Group – Suggested Terms of Reference
- Highlight associated risks, issues and updates to enable the Charity Tax Group to protect business rates relief
- Collect and share information in general and by individual council on:
- multipliers, supplements and reliefs
- mandatory and discretionary charitable relief (guidance on whether they are automatically applied; or must be applied for; and the criteria applied by the rating authorities in assessing the applications)
- transitional arrangements during changes to rateable values
- practical issues: how to calculate a rates bill, key contacts for queries or issues
- Review emerging case law (including York Museums) and local rulings, as well as national policy developments (as responsibility for rates is devolved) including business rates retention in England and the Barclay Review in Scotland.