The Charity Tax Group (CTG) is recruiting a new volunteer Treasurer to help it through a period of change as the organisation adapts to support the charity sector in the challenges it currently faces. CTG is currently applying for charitable status and is implementing ‘Xero’ as an accounting package to replace a spreadsheet-based accounting system.
The CTG Directors are seeking a self-motivated individual who will help to improve CTG’s financial systems and procedures in line with the ambition of the organisation itself. This will include reviewing the CTG finance function and how it might be best structured in the future. The role could suit a person who has recently retired from full-time work, works reduced hours, or would like to build experience through volunteering. The time commitment is reflected in the needs outlined in the role description.
The Charity Tax Group (CTG) is looking to appoint a new Treasurer. This is a voluntary role that is expected to require attendance at monthly one-hour CTG Board meetings and quarterly Finance Committee Meetings to which most financial decisions are delegated.
CTG’s work is overseen by a volunteer Board with support from the paid Secretariat. CTG is in the process of seeking charitable status. As the Directors consider that the company already operates for public benefit this is reflected in our accounting.
Please note, that the Treasurer is not a CTG Director, however if the successful candidate is a trustee or staff member of a donating CTG member charity then this can be discussed in line with our governing documents.
The Treasurer will be required to:
- Prepare quarterly management accounts.
- Prepare the annual budget in partnership with the CTG Finance Committee.
- Prepare and submit quarterly VAT returns (this will be supported by the implementation of Xero).
- Provide a written financial update in advance of quarterly CTG Finance Committee meetings.
- Prepare updated forecasts for the year for discussion at quarterly Finance Committee meeting.
- Be responsible for the maintenance of and development of written financial policies suitable for of an entity of CTG’s size and complexity.
- Draft annual accounts to required standard for review by an Independent Examiner – previous year’s accounts can be accessed here.
- File accounts/tax returns with Companies House/Charity Commission and HMRC.
- Approve invoices (jointly with other CTG Directors) and process payments using online banking.
- Liaise with CTG’s banking provider.
The successful candidate will support CTG’s aims to:
- Strive for technical excellence in all aspects of tax that impacts on charities.
- Provide practical support to charities by mitigating their tax burden and providing informed and relevant guidance.
- Work with others to maximise our impact.
- Develop a sustainable funding structure that matches our ambition.
- Be brave and innovative.
- Have financial knowledge and an understanding of the charity sector.
- Understand the importance and purpose of the CTG Board meetings and Finance Committee and be committed to preparing for them adequately and attending them regularly.
- Be able to demonstrate discretion when working with sensitive and confidential information.
- Be familiar with online banking processes.
- Be able to complete these tasks remotely (no desk space is provided) and provide some availability during the working week for liaison with the Secretariat and CTG officers.
The following would also be desirable:
- Understanding of Charities SORP (FRS 102) standards and Companies Act requirements.
- Understanding of charity tax issues.
If you would be interested in applying for the role of CTG Treasurer, please fill in this form: Treasurer application form October 2023 and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 noon on 6 November 2023. For questions or informal discussion please send an e-mail to the same address.
N.B. If you would need any reasonable adjustments in order to apply for or interview for this role, please email us.