CTG is well represented in HMRC’s Charity Tax Forum and in HMRC technical working groups. CTG has regular discussions with ministers and officials responsible for charity taxation and makes a range of representations on your behalf. CTG’s Committee Members are all volunteers with day-to-day practical experience of tax issues. Through our charity and Observer members, we bring together leading voices in the world of charity tax.
One of the most valued membership benefits is our regular newsletter updates on charity tax developments, which ensure that you are up-to date on the issues and lobbying work that CTG is undertaking on your behalf. Charities can also follow developments as they break on our Twitter feed @CharityTaxGroup
- Annual Tax Conference – The Conference is always addressed by high-profile speakers, including Treasury ministers. This year we will assess the implications of the new Government’s first March Budget.
- Gift Aid working group meetings are held 4 times a year.
- Topical seminars – CTG provides regular update meetings for Members, often with HMRC participation.
- Technical working groups – CTG organises sector-wide technical working groups on topical direct and indirect tax issues. These groups are crucial in shaping CTG’s campaign strategy and consultation responses.
- Regional meetings – CTG holds regular practical updates for charities across the UK.
A voice in the EU as well as the UK
The EU is continuing fundamental reform of the VAT system and CTG continues to represent the interests of UK charities’ at a European level. By working closely with European partners through the ECCVAT network, CTG ensure that the European Institutions understand and consider the implications of VAT reform for charities.
Access to the Group’s Charity Tax Helpline
Run by prominent tax professionals working in the charity sector, this free service helped over 50 charities resolve some complicated tax queries last year and gave specific information to many others. Requests to use the helpline can now be logged online.